Sucker Punch: inspiration for costumes

Posted: Monday, March 7, 2011 by Janek in Labels: ,
0

Sucker Punch is an American action-fantasy film. Costumes have caught my attention because they are made in a mix of different styles and ages. I really appreciate this creative touch.

It’s inspiring for my movie because I would like to create new styles and, to my opinion, these ones are particularly aesthetics.

I also like the mix between old and new weapons. For example, we can see a character with a blade and a gun, it’s dynamic.  

But I keep in mind that costumes have to be linked with the environment where action takes place.  Characters’ way of clothing derives from their history, culture, environment, enemies...

In The Lord of the Rings, J.R.R. Tolkien illustrated very well how the context can impact on clothing and accessories specificities.
For example, Orcs are living in a kind of industrial world, so their weapons and clothes are predominantly made out of steel. Elves come from the woods, so their clothes and weapons are more made with natural materials. Tolkien has adapted each detail as regards to each tribes features.

So, to create my own style, I have to keep in mind that aesthetics are important but the key point is to preserve characters credibility maintaining a link between their costumes / accessories and their environment.

 Official website : http://suckerpunchmovie.warnerbros.com/

0 comments: